Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Kings Manor once again


Continuing my day out at Kings Manor

Once we had finished in the Chapter House Roofspace we walked back along a gulley section adjacent to the Chapter House Roof and I noticed this wonderful record of work welded onto the side of the Chapter House Roof. Lead sheet covering is a complex and difficult craft to encompass and I always think that it is one of the most beautiful roof coverings for old and contemporary buildings alike. It is great to see that the craft is still alive.

Over the weekend starting 19th May I will be at a Heritage Skills Weekend at Fountains Abbey in Yorkshire where one of the stalls will be showing some aspects of Lead Craftsmanship and also showing how young people can get involved in the craft. More later...

Images of lead roofs and lead work here


There is more information about the Chapter House and a larger photograph of the vaulting at my photoblog site here

There are more events organised by the SPAB Yorkshire Regional Group including visits to Kirkstall Abbey in May, Nostell Priory and Knedlington Old Hall in June, and Darnall Crucible Shops in September.


SPAB website is here
Conservation Courses at University of York Kings Manor
You can view all of my images of York Minster here
You can view all of my images of York here

No comments:

ARCHI-SEARCH

Custom Search