Sunday, November 27, 2005

Art Nouveau


I must admit I have a love hate relationship with Art Nouveau architecture and design. I am a great fan of its antecedent the Arts and Crafts movement and I think that the stylistic exuberance might be a little too much for me at times. Nevertheless, I made a pilgramage to Rue La Fontaine, Paris, France this year to see some of the more restrained structures. The image above is a window detail by Hector Guimard. Hector Who? Guimard was also the person behind the famous art nouveau Metro stations dotted around Paris.....


Art Nouveau flourished between 1890 and 1910 and originated in Belgium. One key architect in Belgium was Victor Horta who designed the Hotel Van Eetvelde (1895) in Brussels.

It was heavily influenced by the Arts and Crafts movement in England and also by the development of wrought iron technology which was influenced by Eugene Viollet-le-Duc

More images of Art Nouveau by Andy Marshall

No comments:

ARCHI-SEARCH

Custom Search