Monday, January 29, 2007

Saint Mary Studley Royal, Yorkshire

Saint Mary, Studley Royal - Ceiling Scape

I love this photo because it has so many different aspects. Firstly it works for me just as a photo - the pattern and decoration is beautiful in this church. Secondly it is an unusual angle and it takes time to get to grips with it - I like that. Thirdly it conveys the concept of the liturgical hierarchy of the building - from right to left (west to east) there is a change from simplicity (the nave) through to controlled excitement (the Chancel choir) and then unadulterated exuberance (the sanctuary).

Definitely one of the buildings you need to see before you die....

See more of this church in a slideshow

See more Church Architecture in a slideshow

My Victorian Church Architecture UK group

William Burges on my del.icio.us

No comments:

ARCHI-SEARCH

Custom Search