Friday, May 25, 2007

Paley and Austin and the Pelican


Pelican, originally uploaded by fotofacade.

Taken with a Canon 5D, manfrotto tripod with geared head, sigma lens.

There's something deeply moving about the Pelican symbol used throughout Christianity. But for me it goes beyond the religious sense of sacrifice. I suppose it's a common understanding any parent would have in protecting and nourishing their own.

And this is how it is for me with my architectural photography. On many levels it is a personal experience drawn to symbols, messages, textures, colours, spaces and structures which touch me.

Here the Pelican is a symbol of Christ - it is feeding its young with its own flesh. More here on the Pelican in Christianity.

The Choir stalls are from Saint Mary the Virgin in Bury Lancashire - a remarkable example of Victorian architecture. Take a look at my flickr set here on this church.

The stalls were designed by Paley and Austin - more here

Taken with a Canon 5D

No comments:

ARCHI-SEARCH

Custom Search