Friday, December 16, 2005

Archi-Maps an introduction

For the past couple of months I have been working on providing an architectural map of Manchester via Google Earth. It is a time consuming (but enjoyable) exercise. Today I have completed the first phase of the map and put it on my website.

I will be adding more buildings as time goes on and there is an update feature available on my website. I will also be adding more city maps in the new year including Liverpool and Hull in the UK and Venice Italy.

The map utilizes the remarkable features of the Google Earth Satellite mapping system and highlights some of the key buildings of Manchester with a photograph, date, architect, and description. There are also links to other images of the building and directions for further information. What is remarkable is that all this information is available by clicking on placemark situated over the satellite image of the building itself.

Once you have downloaded the map, there are a number of things that you can do:-

  • You can view all buildings on the map
  • You can view selected buildings on the map
  • You can plan routes to and from the buildings
  • You can view buildings built within a certain century (I have provided themed time line folders)
  • You can at any time have a guided movie style tour of the buildings by clicking the play button in the places folder
You can get to my Archi- Map of Manchester here

If you like what you see, or have any suggestions then please leave a comment via this blog.

No comments:

ARCHI-SEARCH

Custom Search