Thursday, December 01, 2005

Tadao Ando

You either love him or hate him for his abstract structures or his use of concrete but Tadao Ando has a large international following and a significant list of architectural commissions. My interest developed when he designed the a Japanese style Pavilion and Screen for Manchester UK's Piccadilly Gardens. It is designed to screen the Gardens from the tramway and as a structure I'm not sure it works. It seems to be in the words of Frank Lloyd Wright (correct me if I'm wrong) on the place rather than of the place. In other words it looks out of place.

Now, don't get me wrong this doesn't mean that I don't like the screen. In fact, through trying to photograph the screen I have learnt a lot about the man behind it and his love of light, shadow and mass including the interplay of such a solid object with its surroundings especially the contrast with softer more permeable elements such as trees and foliage as I hope the photos I took below show.

You can view all of my photo's of Tadao Ando's Screen here

This is the book that I first read about Ando

More about Tadao Ando (a brief biography)

Tadao Ando at Great Buildings Online

No comments:

ARCHI-SEARCH

Custom Search